Embracing Individuality

02:29

Tonight reminded me of how many comments I collect when I go out in small towns away from cities. Pin Up, or alternative styles, are very much seen as alien here as there are a lot less people and subcultures rarely exist here apart from a mix of long time hippies and punks.

To let you know a background story to why I am in little towns at the moment - In the summer I stay at the seaside, and then I go back to the big smoke later this month to study and plan world domination with my co-partners of The UK Bombshells, Dolly & Dakota.

In London, no one bats an eyelid if you dress with a distinctive style as it's a hub of alternate scenes, however, place yourself as a pin up in a very small area away from alternative dress styles and you find yourself being either asked, admired or scorned for being a little bit different.
I personally think it's a great thing to be set apart from everyone else, however on the odd occasion  I have been approached by women in particular and told scornfully I'm very much 'overdressed' for the night.
 Just like every other style, pin up can be a little over the top sometimes, however dressing with a retro twist is how I dress everyday and I have slowly built the style into my wardrobe and accessories. To dress 'normally', whatever 'normal' is - would be like acting like another person for the night as I wouldn't be dressing like myself at all. I would probably feel like I dulled myself down to seem normal to others, and who wants to feel dull when they go out to watch music with friends or for dinner.

Now, with that out of the way..I do think it's awesome that everyone in the world is different and we all have our preferences and quirks which make us interesting! If we all were the same, I think the world would be a very boring place! I guess for some people I wish they could see outside the box a little sometimes, and instead of criticising being different in a bad light, embrace individuality!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Twitter