10 ways to survive your early twenties

18:00

Think of me as your big sister, telling you what you should know before your twenties creeps up and hits you in the face. It's only because I've experienced this that I now know what I would do differently. You may be experiencing a quarter life crisis already, or you may be interested to know what happens when you have to 'grow up'.


1. Go to a uni where you can afford your rent, with a good course.

Explanation: I really struggled with the price of living in London and also the lack of social events which were Uni related/organised at freshers and throughout uni.

2. When thinking about your job, think about whether you can do your job in your home town, or whether you mind moving house to go and do that job. Will moving make you happy? Or do you want a career you can do on your doorstep?

Explanation: It's easy to say you want a career, but what if your career is centered in one place and you will have to uproot yourself from your friends and family to go and get it? Will you be able to deal with the pressures of feeling lost in a new place?

3. Don't lock yourself away if things get tough. There are people out there that can help.

Explanation: I felt completely alone at one point, like I was suffocating in this small world. I let other people control my life, and I forgot who I was. I developed anxiety and depression, I thought the world was out to get me and I just wanted to run away. If I can suggest anything, it's when times get tough that you need to reach out, even if you feel so weak, there are people out there, such as friends and family that will support you. You may not have those, or you feel you can't talk to them, but please know that as hard as finding the strength to speak to your GP about the issues you are having is, the better you will feel for speaking to someone about it and admitting things have not gone to plan.
There are also help groups out there, which I wish I had sought at the time because I really suffered dealing with it all on my own, who are there to listen and to share experiences. And just for the record; you WILL come out the other side eventually.

4. If people hurt you, don't associate yourself with them. People come and go, it is NOT the end of the world.

What I have learnt the hard way, was that unfortunately some people are toxic, and if they hurt your feelings and don't apologise for their actions, then don't try to be their friend. It's as simple as that. When someone has done something horrible to me, it sounds harsh but I cut them out completely. Get rid of their phone number, delete them on Facebook or hide their posts. By erasing this person online, you are not surrounding yourself with negative reminders.

5. If you exude happiness, many more good things will happen to you.

It sounds crazy, but looking and feeling happy makes other people happy too. If I am in a bad mood, people notice my body language and facial expressions and will leave me alone. If I am happy, complete strangers approach me and even offer me FREE coffee. When does that ever happen? Everyone loves a positive person, so get on the happy train as soon as you can.

6. Finding yourself abroad actually WORKS!

For years I just thought travelling must be cool but it's also probably a bit of a fad and I can still have fun at home. I was so wrong. There came a time in my life where suddenly I needed to get out and explore the world a little bit. I volunteered in Tanzania with Raleigh ICS and it changed my life. It was no holiday or 'break', it was no posh gap yaar experience, it was hard work working and living with a local community on sustainable projects relating to water, sanitation and hygiene - and inspiring others inspired me to volunteer at home. Living in a 'basic' way has made me feel extremely grateful for everyone in my life and for the health that we have at home in the UK.

Travel, volunteer and try and see as many places as you possibly can. If you are struggling with cost look for schemes which are part-funded.

7. Immerse yourself in culture, music and social activity. You aren't old yet - so get out there!

Have as much fun as you possibly can. Make your twenties the years that really count. Having fun is essential to your happiness. Building your social circle now is great and you do not need to be tied down to anything during this stage in your life.

8. Find new hobbies and expand your interests

Suddenly, you don't live at home. You don't always exist watching Netflix or on the Playstation. There is more to life! So get out there and see what you may enjoy. Having an array of hobbies is also an interesting conversation starter and will help you make good connections.

9. Pay attention to the news - it may affect you

After working in press relations and volunteering, I am convinced if you start paying attention to the news, the younger generation could have more influence. We have a chance now to listen and closely observe the world, politicians and large corporations; because we are the new generation, and we can make it an overall better and fairer place to live by listening and actively responding.

10. Appreciate your family and make the most of your time with them

The fact of the matter is: they won't be around forever. They are gradually getting older, whether you like it or not! They have watched you and your siblings pack up and move home, and they are either now or will be enjoying their retirement soon. Help out when you can; and let them know you care, they will appreciate it more than you know.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Twitter